On the news the last few days accompanying the follow-up hysteria from the media was news of Irma, a second large hurricane that is predicted to hit Florida very soon. It is predicted to be one of the largest in recorded history and evacuation of the entire state of Florida has been ordered. With that new, however, was also news that Eccentric Billionaire Richard Branson stated to the media that he was not leaving the state, and in fact, was going to barricade himself with a few friends in his wine cellar; that is concrete and fortified. His position is, to me not outrageous at all as I have considered doing the same thing in the past, as our family used my wine cellar numerous times during tornado warnings.
An average human being, isolated from nutrition, food and water will die without water for 3 days, or food for 5-7 days. That’s where wine can be a savior. Survival needs are sometimes satisfied by things you don’t suspect. A single bottle of wine (and it doesn’t have to be good wine, either) as the only source of food or drink, will supply:
- 240 calories of energy
- Vitamins A, B, and C
- all 13 minerals essential to life
- 17% of the total nutrition needed for a 200lb man for a day
- 34% of the needs of a 100lb woman for a day
- 95% of these calories in wine are supplied as “quick energy” for immediate use
- the low alcohol content if consumed at a rate of 12 oz. wine (½ bottle) / 50lb of body weight / every 6 hours will not cause intoxication. That’s equivalent to 4 bottles of wine a day for a 200lb man and 2 bottles/day for a 100lb woman. (other weights – do the math)
- 18-¾ ounces of water in every bottle
- the metabolism of the calories in wine doesn’t require insulin
- Therefore, a diabetic caught in this scenario could probably survive on wine alone
- contains abundant potassium and is low in sodium (heart healthy)
- reduced hunger, doesn’t cause weight gain, and moderates stomach hypersensitivity
- prevents diarrhea
- and make you happy while you’re doing it!
So, if you are caught in an unexpected emergency situation like Mr. Branson, keep these facts in mind as they may help you out of your predicament.
Charles R. Thomas, M.D.